Adsense

Monday, September 25, 2017

And then......you turned 10

Dear G,

Tomorrow marks ten years of you doing things on your own terms, in your own unique way, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says.

You have been that way since before birth....you moved around so much in utero that at 18-weeks gestation, I would get motion sick from all your fluttering.

You completely upended my plan for natural childbirth by not only being breech but refusing to turn during an external version, resulting in a c-section. You came out ass-first, which should really be a t-shirt motto that you wear proudly.

You refused to open your eyes for the hospital photographer for your newborn photos (even though your more adaptable siblings did).

In ten years, little has changed.

You are growing your hair out with the goal of looking like Finn.

Finn and his sidekick:

You and your sidekick:

Am I wrong?

And your grand plan is this:


As much as I'd sometimes like to hold you down with a pair of shears, I know that this is "you doing you." My goal is to guide you to be the best you possible, and if that is a long-haired you (provided you get periodic trims and keep it clean), I guess I am ok with that.

You doing you is pretty brave, and I'm proud of you for having the guts to be who you are, even if your grandpa and your uncle and lots of other people rag you about your hair.

Most of the time you are a balance between total turd and utter sweetness and sensitivity. I think the turd part is just being a 10-year-old boy because I distinctly remember your uncle being the same way when he and I were kids. Eventually, you will outgrow the turd part, but I hope the sweet and sensitive never leaves.



You feel so deeply, and it is as much a gift as it is a tremendous weight for you to shoulder. Although you often don't know what to do with your own pain and uncomfortable feelings, you seem to know how to help others when they are under their own emotional burdens.  You get it, and I'm not sure many 10-year-old boys do.



Being your mom has challenged me in many ways, but it has also helped me become more flexible and more accepting of things I cannot control. Having a son who is so much like me has made me see that being stubborn and persistent and pig-headed is equal parts maddening and awesome.

I love you and hope you have a fantastic birthday!

Love,

Momma
















No comments: