Adsense

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

My George Bailey moment

I subbed for about 5 weeks in an 11th-grade class in November/December 2018 at EHS (my daughter's high school).

(This is the same school that I went ape-sh*t about over the dress code in fall of 2019, so I'm not really a sought after sub there anymore, but I digress.)

I loved that long-term sub job; I loved the kids.
It reminded me of all the things I truly miss about teaching--the connections, the chance to make students excited about being in a classroom.
It also reminded me of the PITAs about full-time teaching--the grading that never ends, mostly, since I didn't have to participate in all the meetings and rigamarole.

Before my last day, I gave my email to the students and told them they could contact me at any time for help on papers or to ask questions.
An exchange student from Brazil took me up on this and has emailed me occasionally over the past 16 months.

Today, I received this message from her.
It reminded me that there is something to that quality over quantity idea.




No comments: