Adsense

Friday, April 13, 2012

My love/hate relationship with articles on saving money

When I see a magazine that has an article titled, "How I Saved $10,000 in a Year" (or a title along those lines), I cannot flip to that article quickly enough.  In my mind I'm thinking that maybe I will learn another tip for saving money, some deep, dark, long-lost secret for squirrelly away another coin.

And I am always disappointed because everything the person says to do, I'm (and we're) already doing.

I use vinegar and ammonia and baking soda rather than purchasing expensive cleaning products.
I clean and reuse plastic bags again and again.
We buy Starbucks bagged coffee and brew it at home.
I buy clothes and furnishings off craigslist and at consignment sales.
We don't go on big vacations every year.
We eat out infrequently.
I buy generic for most everything.
I periodically search for better rates on homeowners/car insurance and request deals on phone/cable modem.
We watch public television and don't have cable/satellite expenses.

I probably do save $10,000 a year, but I'm looking for the golden goose of frugality---something that probably doesn't exist if I want to actually, I don't know, have a life. 

No comments: