Adsense

Thursday, April 9, 2020

The unexpected learning during pandemic

As I mentioned, I'm keeping low, low expectations during this non-traditional instruction experience.

N is at the end of sophomore year and is pretty self-motivated, so I'm just letting her do her thing.

G and M need more hand-holding--M because he is 10, and G because he is G.

But I discovered last night that they are learning even in the midst of what might be considered "not-real-learning."

On Tuesday in the morning, G did his social studies assignment, which was short and about ancient Greece and city-states.

At night, while I read to the boys, they lie on the floor and smack inflatable globe balls I have (which I purchased for VBS last summer) around their room while I read aloud.

G asked, "Where is Greece?"

So I explained that he should look north from the top of Africa and maybe over to the left a bit. He found it and then asked where Athens was. It was at this point that he handed me the ball. I was able to show him Athens in relation to the islands to the east of Athens in the Aegean Sea.

I used this opportunity to ask him to find Bari, Italy on the ball, which is the site where D and I took an overnight ferry ride to Athens when he and I visited in 2001.

Shortly after, when I was back to reading our book of the moment, Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor, G said, "I found Lagos," which is the city that the protagonist is currently in.

I was pleasantly surprised to see G learning even when he isn't in school for 7 hours a day. 

No comments: