Adsense

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Quarantine(ish), Day Whatever

I bounce from Facebook to Twitter, and I hope between the two, I find some balance.

Right now Facebook is all "let's share pictures of our weird little pinky toes" and other try-to-feel-light in this moment of definite not-lightness.

Twitter is all "THE WORLD IS ON FIRE," which I think is actually more true and realistic.
But I'm already sad and scared, and I really do not need or want to ramp it up to suicidal.

I am not even remotely trying to keep a schedule beyond everyone getting ready for bed at 9 pm and still reading to the boys.

I am asking them to do a little school-work each day, and I mean a little.

I am trying to do a little of my own work each day, and I mean a little.

There is absolutely no sense in attempting to keep anything normal when nothing is normal.

If there was ever a time to ask, "Will this particular minuscule thing matter in 5 years or 5 months?" now is that time.

The only thing that matters is keeping my family safe.
Food, shelter, clothing, and sanity.

How far ahead or behind they are in math? Doesn't matter right now.
Whether their MAP score was higher in inference or main ideas? Doesn't matter right now.
Spending too much time playing video games? Doesn't matter right now.
Eating more Girl Scout cookies than I'd like them to? Doesn't matter right now.

I'm content with meeting the red and orange in Maslow's pyramid.
The fact that we are all together in our house forces us to deal in the yellow.


I'm very good at handling one crisis at a time.

When my mother was diagnosed with her first case of breast cancer in early 1997, I put mine and D's wedding on hold.
I could not proceed with a wedding until I knew what we were dealing with for mom.
Once I had a handle on that, I could move forward.

Life with COVID-19 is much the same.
I am doing what I have to do with meh effort.
Once I (and everyone) has good information, I can move forward.

No comments: