Adsense

Friday, February 14, 2014

The year we didn't

This year, D and I agreed to not even get each other a card.  Honestly, neither one of us cares to have to make a special trip to the store to root through a bunch of too-sentimental Valentine cards.  Between the psychological assessment and OT sessions, that money on flowers and candy could be spent elsewhere.

I recently read The Fault in Our Stars, and while I don't usually like contemporary novels much or see a terrible amount of depth in them, I did like this book.  Maybe the fact that it mentions Shakespeare influenced me?

I think, though, what really resonated with me is these lines:

Some people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them, I said.
Right, of course.  But you keep the promise anyway.  That's what love is.  Love is keeping the promise anyway.

Life is full of seasons, and lately my life has felt like an eternal winter, a season of wanting to do lots of other things besides keep my promises.  To my husband.  To my kids.

But there is heroism in buckling down, keeping your promises, understanding that, as John Green also notes in his book, "The world is not a wish-granting factory."

Life doesn't always give you what you want when you want it.
(I need to remember this on every.single.snow.day.)

No comments: