Adsense

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1 year piano anniversary

Tonight marks 1 year that N and I have been taking piano lessons.  I hadn't really given it much thought until our lesson this evening, when our instructor remarked on how far we've come.

A year ago tonight I didn't know musical notes.  I didn't know sharps or flats, the bass or treble clef.  I didn't know piano, forte or mezzo piano/forte.  I didn't know the difference between 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures (or what a time signature even meant).  I didn't know D.C. al fine or ritardando I didn't know chords or what it means to play a certain chord in the key of C or G.

I began taking lessons with N for two reasons:  as a means of supporting and helping her as she learned (because how can I possibly assist in her practices if I have no clue what she is doing) and because I'd started and stopped guitar lessons twice since I graduated college and thought it would be nice if I could actually stick with something longer than a New York minute.

We've hit a groove, N and I.  I've figured out a good system of motivating her.  I've learned how she needs to practice to get the most benefit and not become frustrated.

I've learned that my butt hitting the piano bench has the exact same effect as me dialing the phone and conversing....I am suddenly the most in-demand person in the world.

It's been fun and rewarding, and I hope it continues.

No comments: