Adsense

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Oh how glad I am to be middle-aged

More and more I realize that I am a grown-up.  Yeah, graduating from college and owning a home and having three children should have clued me in, but somehow I'm really starting to feel it.

And it's not all bad.  It's mostly very good.

I like feeling comfortable in my skin, being okay with who I am.  Honing my strengths and not being scared to take on new stuff because I might fail.  Age helps you understand the great importance of failures.

I like having decades-long relationships with my husband and my best friend from high school.  They've stuck around in spite of my bad habit of sharing TMI.  They've known me long enough to have perspective on me when I am unable and to share it lovingly.

I like understanding my mom and dad better.  No longer thinking so much about my childhood was unfair or not as I would have preferred.  It is nice "getting" my parents, accepting their baggage as their own issue and appreciating the choices they made for me.

I like feeling that everything is not really the end of the world.

Of course, there are some blerg aspects of aging, the effects of gravity being the worst.

There are the occasional bouts of crotchetiness, which are often the result of listening to too many songs by young 20-something singers.  Hearing Justin Bieber mewl, "We could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke, as long as you love me," completely sets me off.  Clearly the thoughts of a bazillionaire 19-year-old.  It takes someone with a little life under her belt to know just how unrealistic and asinine this is.  Or reading Taylor Swift's profound thoughts on love, love, love.

And there are the uncertainties of parenting, but fortunately the accrued wisdom of the years and understanding of my parents' choices help in this regard.

As I look ahead to 2013 and turning 40, I hope I can continue to appreciate and gracefully accept the benefits of treading more ground on this planet.  

No comments: