Adsense

Saturday, February 16, 2019

The particular sadness of strawberry suckers

A number of years ago, I read a novel titled The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. The premise was that a girl and her brother had unusual gifts; hers was that if she tasted a food, she would feel the emotions that the person who made it experienced as they were making it.

Yesterday, M came to me crying because of a strawberry sucker.

He said the particular strawberry flavor of this sucker reminded him of when he was little, and I kept suckers in the glove box of the car. If we had to be in the car longer than expected or the kids got cranky, I would sometimes offer them a sucker from the stash.

M said he remembered asking for a sucker and me saying yes.

He cried on my shoulder and said he didn't want to eat suckers again.

I asked him if his memories of the sucker stash and being in the car were good or bad, and he said good. It just made him sad to think about it.

I didn't (and don't) know what to make of this little episode other than to say I think M is the point of his development when he's realizing the power of feeling multiple emotions at the same time and being a little overwhelmed by the experience.

His mom is experiencing this in reaction to his experience.

No comments: