Adsense

Sunday, February 3, 2019

God don't care what you wear, and neither do I

This is what I said to my 9-year-old today before church.

He wore a red shirt, blue shorts, and tennis shoes with no socks to church today (February--still definitely winter although a balmy 60 degrees today).

His clothes are clean.
He took a shower and washed his hair yesterday.
He did not actually brush his hair today, though.
I'm 99% certain he had not brushed his teeth before church.

Provided things (except teeth, I guess) are clean and do not have offensive stuff on them, I don't care what my kids wear.
(If a person is offended because my kids don't dress up for church, though, I can't help 'em.)

I am finding myself even changing my mind about what a person wears to a funeral home wake.

I used to be pretty rigid in my opinion that a person shouldn't wear jeans, but I've since decided that the most important thing is to show up and offer your love to the people who have experienced loss. They probably don't pay attention to what anyone is wearing; the day is generally a blur, so why worry if you have jeans on?
Just show up.

Same rules apply at church.
Just show up.

Basically, my rules of attire can be summed up by Kurt Cobain: "Come as you are."

This general "meh" attitude about dressing made M's George Washington project for school a bit tricky.
This coming week he has to dress up as ole George,

Image result for george washington images

and George was a pretty swanky dresser, at least in this picture.

So I turned to Pinterest and very quickly decided that I had to go the lazy Pinterest route. The non-glitter, non-extra, non-sewing, and mostly non-caring-that-much route.

M will wear this getup for his 5-minute presentation and then it will be done. Preserved for eternity in the district's digital backpack and otherwise forgotten by him and me.

So I turned to a friend whose children are much better dressed than mine to borrow a blue blazer.
I found an old doily and tacked it to a strip of fabric I found for the cravat.
I made epaulets from yellow cardstock and strips of yellow yarn and tacked those on the shoulders (I do own needles and thread and I can do the most basic of tacking and stitching.)
Shoe buckles are yellow cardstock, too.

I was not about to go buy a white dress shirt, so we're using a plaid shirt and some khaki pants that my brother has handed down from his boys.

He looks pretty adorable to me, especially for a brief speech.
And, fortunately, M is unlike G in that he doesn't care that much either.





No comments: