Adsense

Monday, August 6, 2018

Things change, people

I tend to be a pretty carpe diem person.
I don't dwell on the past, nor do I think a whole lot about the future (except daydreaming about places I'd like to travel).
I pretty well live in the moment.

The moment of me hating summer break IS OVER.
I no longer hate it.
Please take note of that if you know me or if you've ever read my FB posts or you've ever read this blog.

Today is Aug 6, and while I am mostly ready to get back into a routine, I'm not wishing the days away and pining to send my kids off next week.
This is because when they go back, I go back with them.
I'm subbing the 2nd day of school.
I'll be doing observations at two high schools to complete my secondary certification.
I'll start up my cottage school teaching in September.

Life will once again be a hectic mess of confusion and carpooling between Aug-May.

It's kinda funny how humans think things don't change.

I mean, I'm guilty of it, too.
I see people in person that I knew in college and think to myself, "Dang, they got wrinkles and grey hair."
As if instead of living they have been hovering in suspended animation for the past 25 years.

It is pointless and probably heartbreaking to try to force yourself or those around you to stay the same.

I know folks who cannot wrap their heads around their kids growing up.
They fight it with every ounce of their being.
They expect their preteens and teens to want to spend time with their parents.
I did not want to spend time with my parents when I was that age, so why would I expect my own children to want to spend time with me?
I'd be concerned if they wanted to, in the same way that I'd be concerned if my teenager still needed diapers (unless she had a developmental disability in which this need was normal).

I wouldn't want to spend my entire parenting existence in the baby stage or the toddler stage or the preschool stage or the elementary stage or the "any particular stage."

I am no longer in the "I hate summer because my kids drive me bonkers" stage.
Let's move on, then.

No comments: