Adsense

Thursday, July 12, 2018

How my music is like my vacations

Life is too short to go to the same places over and over again on vacation. 
Even when I have moments of thinking it would be nice (and less stressful) to return to the same vacation spot every few years, I just can't do it. 
It doesn't feel right.

That same feeling describes my musical taste.

I do not listen to any music now that I listened to when I was 35, and certainly not when I was 25, and absolutely not what I listened to at 15.

Sure, I'll have an occasion when I listen to a particular song or maybe even a whole album, but I listen once and then I move along to discovering new things. 

(There were some lost years when all I listened to were Disney soundtracks and The Wiggles because of kids.)

If I had to create a timeline of my lifetime musical interests by musical artist/band in order, it might look like this:

Andy Gibb
Rick Springfield
Duran Duran
--
--
--(ok, this particular phase lasted a LONG time)
Bon Jovi / Guns & Roses / various hair bands
Al B Sure / New Edition / Public Enemy / Big Daddy Kane / various other rappers
Pearl Jam / Tori Amos / Liz Phair / PJ Harvey
Jeff Buckley
--
--
--(this phase lasted a long time, too)
David Gray
The Lost Years (Disney, Wiggles, Doodlebops, Dora the Explorer)
_
_
_
The Flaming Lips
The Black Keys
Bruno Mars
Fitz and the Tantrums

At the present time, I'm listening to Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco.

I remember as a kid loving Duran Duran; it was a complete obsession. And they never came to my city. Later, when I was considerably older, they did come to my city, and the idea that I would pay money to see them in concert by that time was laughable.

Even though I loved Pearl Jam in college and saw them in concert in college, I would not pay to see them now. That ship has sailed.

This summer, I will finally get to see The Flaming Lips in concert. That is a bucket list item.
The one performer I never got to see is Jeff Buckley, which is a shame.

There are some artists I've seen a couple times, but after two concerts, I'm sorta done.

Sometimes I wonder what I will listen to when I'm in my 70s or 80s.
Will I be listening to entirely new things, or will I revert to the "oldies?"

If the first 45 years of my life are any indication, I'll be finding new musicians and bands and, perhaps, asking my grandkids if Nana can go with them to see their favorite bands in concert.

No comments: