Adsense

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Books I'm (and we're) reading (or planning to read)

I've been doing some consulting work with a family that is having issues with their middle schooler.  It makes me remember how much I enjoy working with middle schoolers (even though they are bat-shit nuts), and it makes me think that if there are only two things a person does as a parent they will have a much easier time if they 1.) expect respect and 2.) are consistently consistent.

All of this thinking about parenting has launched me on a tear to read some new parenting books.  I would be a liar if I said raising two little boys doesn't work me into a frenzy much of the time, so I thought it might be a good idea to read some boy-centered books I haven't read before.  These are the ones I've checked out from the library and am awaiting:

*The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian
*How Do You Tuck in a Superhero and Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys by Rachel Balducci
*Wild Things:  The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James
*The Heart of Parenting:  How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman
*The Blessing of a Skinned Knee:  Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children by Wendy Mogel

For my book club I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I am also perusing Secrets of Mental Math by Arthur Benjamin.  Since I just finished The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly and like to have a children's lit book going too, I need to select another one.

G and I are big fans of the Franny K. Stein series of books, which are chapter books that have pictures on every page.  They are more substantial in terms of storyline than the easy reader chapter books but they still have pictures to maintain interest.  I was able to locate another series of books that are similar, though not nearly as good as Franny books in terms of humor:  Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot series.

N and I are reading Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.  On nights that D reads with her, she can select whatever she wants to read.  On nights that I read with her, I try to take turns choosing books with her so that she periodically gets something more substantial than My Sister the Vampire.

M enjoys reading pretty much anything with an illustration of a baby in it.  I'd say his most recent favorite of this nature is Uncle Bigfoot by George O'Connor.  He thinks seeing babies in picture books is downright hilarious.



No comments: