Adsense

Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Sixteen Candles birthday letter

Dear N,

This week you turn 16, a birthday that feels monumental to both of us, I think.

I've never been good at projecting what you might be like at a certain age in the future. I remember Daddy asking me this question (What do you think N will be like when she is X years old?) when you were a small girl, and I just couldn't imagine what you might be like.


I lack imagination, but mostly, it simply didn't matter what I thought you might be like or what I wanted you to be like. It didn't take me very long into motherhood to recognize that I am less the sculptor of my children and more the museum curator who finds the best spot for the sculptor's work to be admired or viewed.

My children are both their own sculptors and the sculptures they create.


I like to think you are the kind of girl who has a range of friendships with people, who can move between "groups" of people and be equally comfortable and nice to all.



You are just good-hearted and not the person who looks down on others. However, you definitely have your opinions about things and don't value people who come across as snobby or fake but, unlike your mother and more like your dad, you generally keep those feelings under wraps.



Speaking of that, you are a blend of me and Daddy. You are involved and have a wide range of friendships like me, but you also truly treasure your downtime and don't require other people to be entertained (I'm better about that as an adult, but definitely was not when I was 16).

Recently you wrote your essay for induction into the National Honor Society at your school. Though you initially struggled with what to write, your essay was fantastic and just epitomized who you are:


I thought the John Lennon pun at the end was simply brilliant; your freelance writer momma was super proud of that one!

Enjoy your day, and keep studying for your permit test. You and Daddy are gonna have a blast with driving lessons.

I love you to the upside down and back even when you act like a Demogorgon (which isn't often, but you are a teenager so it happens),

Momma


No comments: