Adsense

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Here we go again: A graduate class to make me feel all unequipped

A year ago I did this to myself, and now I'm doing it again, all in the name of being "smart" and putting coursework to good use and giving myself "options" whenever I do go back to teaching full-time.

I will be observing/working with students at two high schools this fall.
Fortunately, I don't have to take a class at the college or read a textbook.
It is basically some reflections and 5 lesson plans (being observed teaching 2 of them).
Totally doable.
And the class is pass/fail, so in order to fail, I think I'd basically have to do nothing and/or kill a child.

I met with one of my supervising teachers the other day, and I'm trying to fight that feeling I get of 'I'm not worthy."
Like just because I haven't taught full-time means I know nothing and have no "real" value as an educator.
The two teachers I'll be with have eight years and 10 years of classroom experience, respectively.
I don't know how this compares, but I think my 3 years of full-time teaching + 6 years of part-time teaching/developing curriculum + 2 years of subbing = something.
And I've got the 8 years of freelance writing on top of it, which hopefully will be of some value since one of the teachers has a journalism class.

Maybe this is terrible of me, but I basically told the teacher, I'll teach anything but I'm jumping through hoops for this course.
I'm only creating lesson plans for what I absolutely have to for the class, which may be a shitty attitude, but it's not like this class is my only thing.
I'm not gunning for an A, I'm gunning for a "pass."

Plus, I think it is just weird to walk into someone else's classroom and be told by the college that you have to come up with lessons that somehow jive with what another person has already planned. It just seems odd (and stupid) to "recreate the wheel" when the wheel has already been created.

That is logistically difficult for both people, so I'd rather not do that any more than I absolutely have to.
It is her classroom, and I'm just a guest.

Anyway, I'll get through it, and I'll complain, and I'll likely have my sense of self-worth shattered because I'm not a full-time"real" teacher, and I'll have to build myself back up again.
But when it's over, I'll have that little add-on to my teaching certificate.
Whoop-dee-do.

It's important to have a positive attitude in these circumstances.

No comments: