Adsense

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

You only think you know people (and I don't just mean powerful celebrities who sexually harass)

I don't know any celebrities nor do I want to. There is something about celebrity that I find troubling.

I don't know if it is the power or the fame or the money or a combination of it all, but anything that invites sycophants is a problem.

In no way am I surprised, stunned or shocked by any of the allegations against any of the men in power or with celebrity who have been accused of pulling out their johnsons on various women on various occasions (or grabbing them by the pussies or anything else they've done). The only thing I keep thinking is that my 10-year-old son does shit like that, and at least he has the sense to only do it in our house where he gets yelled at by all of us to put his junk away.

I think what is most surprising to me is how many people are stunned, shocked or surprised by revelations about Matt Lauer and Garrison Keillor and whomever else has been deemed "ok even though we actually don't know these people or anything about them." Why would anyone think these guys would be above the fray?

Because you like their on-stage personality?


All of these people are acting.

I once taught with someone who is now in prison for rape and sodomy of a middle school student he taught. On the one hand, I can understand the disbelief of colleagues of people accused of heinous crimes. That isn't the person I knew; it isn't the person they knew. I wouldn't have thought this person capable of such an act, but I tend to believe in the power of the legal system. I couldn't convict someone of a crime unless I was damned certain, without a reasonable doubt. Plus, in this case, after he took the stand, he later admitted to the rape and sodomy.

Just because I can't believe it, just because this person was above board with me doesn't mean this person was above board with everyone.

We really never truly know anyone as well as we think we do. 

No comments: