Adsense

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Papaw's house (how we left it, and how it looks now)

Yesterday I saw my cousin's post on FB about Papaw's house, which my MIL and her brother sold in the spring.

Papaw had lived in it for something like 50 years, and to say it was dated is an understatement. But it was Papaw's house and we loved it, even if the carpet contained 80% of the dust on the planet and there were grease stains in every corner of the kitchen.

G requested that my MIL take photos of the rooms before it sold so we could remember it forever, and while I often roll my eyes at his insistence on documenting everything including the most mundane, I am glad now that we have photos of what it looked like just 6 months ago.

My cousin's post showed the house after renovations. It is now on the market, and it looks amazing! I almost can't believe it is the same house.

I showed the kids, and even G, who wants things to stay exactly the way they are until the end of time, was happily surprised by how wonderful it looks.

As we come up on the one year anniversary of Papaw's death, I have been thinking about him a lot and feeling a little down, but seeing these photos made me smile and feel excited. I even asked D if we could sell our house and buy Papaw's, but we'd be losing many square inches of sanity space.

Life is all about loss and rebirth, and Papaw's house is a good example of how life carries on.


This is Papaw's living room and eating area as we left it. 


This is how it looks after renovations and staged for sale.



This is Papaw's bathroom as we left it.


And after renovations.

Papaw's attic BEFORE.



Papaw's attic NOW





Papaw had a sunporch right outside the eating area.


Now it is an all-season sunroom with a pass-through to the kitchen area. 


Papaw's kitchen


The new and improved kitchen 
(you can see the pass-through in this top photo to the sunroom).



No comments: