Adsense

Saturday, September 22, 2012

My writing "niche"

I've known for a long time that my blogging style is better described as "bitching."

It seems that my freelance writing niche is "discussing uncomfortable topics that most people avoid like the plague but that I personally enjoy mulling over because 1. I am a glutton for punishment and 2. I think some things need to be said/admitted/shared to make people feel not so alone."

I've written about my mood disorder.  I've written about how I sometimes feel like beating the holy hell out of my children.  I have a piece coming out soon in which I interviewed couples who had gone through marriage counseling....a topic most couples don't readily admit to having done because it seems like it is a failure if you pull an objective, trained coach in to help you navigate the challenges that marriage can bring.

The hardest part is finding people who are willing to be interviewed.  Not everyone like to discuss those "unpleasantries" of life.   I suspect, though, that when people read what I've written they think, "Thank g*d she said that.  I feel the exact same way."  It makes me feel good that perhaps I've helped someone feel not so alone.

I am really enjoying all aspects of freelance work--the constructive criticism my editor gives me, the elation I feel when I take a wonky end paragraph and work it into something that just feels so right.  I was never a sportswoman so I can only imagine that nailing an ending is like shooting one from half-court.

I enjoy telling the kids I am "working" on a writing piece.  Although I do work around the house all.the.time, my kids seem to take my freelance work more seriously.  They are apt to give me 15 whole seconds of peace instead of the usual 3.

It astounds me a bit that I've been writing for my magazine for 2-and-a-half years or so.  I'm not sure how long this will last, so I'm going to enjoy the ride and continue padding my portfolio.  

No comments: