Adsense

Thursday, January 9, 2020

OCD is part of my reason

This past fall marked 15 years since I began treatment for my OCD.
It has taken almost that entire time for me to get comfortable with this disorder.

That diagnosis has changed my life in many ways.

It made me see the value of therapy and encourage it for others.
It made me vocal about the need for better and more mental health care.
It made me realize that having a mental health issue does not equate to being useless, crazy, or unworthy.
It made me better equipped to handle my own son's OCD and be empathic.
And beyond my son, it has allowed me to offer help and hope to other people.

A young person I know and see regularly was diagnosed, and her mom, who is also my friend, made sure to mention to her daughter that "Ms. V has OCD" to help ease her daughter's handling of the diagnosis.

It made me feel very proud to know that in some ways I have become a "poster-girl" for OCD among people I know.
Because when you have a condition that isn't going to go away and that can be crippling and embarrassing, you need to know that a person can have the condition and still thrive.
That a person can still have healthy long-term relationships.
And be smart.
And be productive.
And be cool.
(Ok, I'm not really cool except in my own head.)

It also makes me glad that I've been a bit of a loudmouth about my OCD, allowing others to feel comfortable enough to ask me questions and seek my suggestions and guidance. 

No comments: