Adsense

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Well, bust my spleen; you're a total preteen

Dear G,

This 12th birthday was a non-event.
You were feeling puny as a result of your flu shot on Tuesday.
I have been thick in the dress code drama that began on Saturday at your sister's school, plus she had three games this week.

On Friday night, however, you had rallied, so Mamaw came over, and we celebrated in a low-key fashion.
We ate the "12" cookies I had picked up.
You opened cards from your grandparents and the gift from me and Daddy.
We watched the N, G, and M show and found our favorite videos of you being cute when you were a wee one.


I don't tell you nearly often enough how proud I am of you.
You have always followed the beat of your own drum.
Some of that drumming has been the result of your OCD, and that hasn't always been easy.
Some of that drumming is your own unique personality that you share with others without too much thought to their opinion of it.
It took me many years to get to the point where I didn't worry about what people thought of me, so I admire you for being that way at such a young age.

I worried (and still worry) about how you are adapting to middle school, but you seem to be doing fine.
You aren't complaining about the uniform.
Your grades so far are good.
You have friends.
You have adjusted so much better than I expected.
I'm not too surprised, though.
I worried about you entering preschool and elementary, and you did fine in both those places.
I can't understand where you got all your anxiety from.
Har-har.

As you get older, I enjoy you more and more (although those cute videos of you when you were a toddler, preschooler and young elementary school child make me long for those days a bit).

With all the dress code stuff, you told me, "You're a Karen, but a good one."
You make us all laugh on the regular.
Here are some of your recents:

--When you talked to N about being nervous to start middle school, you told her you were worried about getting lost in "hidden corridors," which I thought was pretty funny since you aren't going to Hogwarts.

--When Slips got into a Calvin Klein bag, you said she got into a Calvin "Clean" bag.

--Daddy was going through a phase of watching Babylon 5. You called it "Baby Lon 5."

And you remain the king of misheard lyrics, although your brother is catching up with you.

I hope this year is a good one for you, a year that sees you develop and mature.
A year that you discover new skills and talents you have.
A year you continue to be compassionate to others.


We love you bunches and bunches,

Momma



No comments: