Adsense

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Some philosophies I live by

Now that my friend and I are doing the radio show/podcast, we've been meeting some interesting people. There has been an occasion or two when my friend has felt a little intimidated because the person we're speaking to is a "professional."

Like someone "important."

My almost ten years as a freelance writer means I have interviewed lots of people, some of whom have done some "big" things or have "big money." Because of this, I don't feel this same sense of "whoah" about speaking to certain people.

However, I think what matters most is one of my philosophies in life that I adopted a few short years ago, and it is this:

Everyone has had poop stains in their underpants. 

I don't care if you are the Queen of England or the President of the United States or Beyonce, you've experienced the unfortunate situation of streaks in your drawers.

I won't speak to the reasons for these streaks--whether they resulted from a lengthy laugh or were the result of a bout of stomach flu--but the point is that it is hard to feel that someone is better than you when you keep this philosophy in mind at all times.

And I do.

The other philosophy I keep at the front of mind is

I don't remember what anyone else wore yesterday; 
therefore, they don't remember what I wore; 
therefore, I can wear the same clothing multiple days in a row. 

Occasionally, I go to put on the same outfit I wore the day before, and I momentarily think to myself, "Will anyone notice?" 

And then I try as hard as I can to recall what the people I saw the day prior were wearing, and I cannot recall if they even wore clothes. 
Who knows??
So I don't sweat it.
I wear what I want. 
If some oddball person with OCD notices that I am repeating what I wore, then that person has far more issues on his/her plate than what I wore because he or she is probably three steps away from madness. 
(As a person with clinically diagnosed OCD, I can speak from experience here.)

The other philosophy that is really just starting to fully take hold as I move into my later 40s is the following:

I really don't give a shit what anyone thinks.
About me, specifically. 
(But often in general).

It is so terribly freeing to no longer care, to no longer fret endlessly about whether people like me or think I'm smart or think I'm pretty. 
Because I think I'm smart and as pretty as I'm gonna get considering genetics and aging and my absolute refusal to have surgery unless something is diseased. 

I try very hard not to be a jerk, but I am also done with other people acting jerk(ish) and me worrying whether they'll think I'm a bitch if I respond. 

(See band director post)

I think I'm going to make a really FANTASTIC 80-year-old woman someday!

No comments: