Adsense

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Operation "Make My Hutch Useful"

When D and I married, my parents gave us either $3,000 or $5,000 to cover expenses.

We were very frugal and ended up having enough left over to purchase a hutch/base, table, six chairs, and a washer/dryer.

I have always liked my hutch....until recently.



We have a very large dining room that we rarely use for eating.
I use the space for planning lessons or writing articles.
The boys use the space as a catch-all for their random toys and whatnot.

The walls of the room are travel pictures and paintings. I have always called it my travel room, and it gives me joy to look at the places we've been and to see things friends and family have brought to us from places I may never visit.

I decided that I want to make this room more of a sitting room/office space.

D has his office in the basement, but if he's working in there, I don't feel like I can use it to do my stuff (whether that be scrapbooking or writing or whatever).

So I've been thinking about what purpose I want my dining room to serve.

I managed to find a $15 Bassett chair that I'm going to have recovered in a few weeks, which gives us a place to read if kids are in the basement or living room, and we want to make ourselves scarce.



I have been looking for bookcases with drawer storage for the dining room, but I haven't found anything I really like.

Last night, it finally hit me: Get rid of all the unused pretty stuff in the hutch and use it for your books, binders, and crafting stuff. 

So at 8 pm, I began the purge.

I pulled out a set of dishes my mom made 30+ years ago in ceramics that I have used maybe once in the past 21 years.

(Dishes on the table; dishes on the floor, 
none of which ever get used.)

I told myself, "I love my mom, but I never use these dishes. The dishes are not my mom; they do not represent love or relationship or anything. They are plates; I can donate them and not feel guilty."

I am donating a ton of pretty things D and I got as wedding presents that have been sitting in that hutch used for 21 years. There is one item I am keeping because I remember exactly who gave it to me.

I threw away all the random wine corks we had been saving in a bowl (For what purpose? I have no idea.)

I am moving the kids' Santa banks and handprint plates to the Christmas stuff because I always forgot to put these out as decor at Christmas because they are in the hutch and not in with the Christmas stuff.

I have to wait until the kids go back to school before I can purge some of their stuff.
(I move junk to the basement, and when they don't say anything for 6 months/1-year, I know that I can get rid of it, but if they catch me moving it, they remember how valuable and precious it is.)

Image result for gollum precious

This is my 2019 project--a work in progress. 

No comments: