Adsense

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The response to my dress code letter to the counselor

I sent my dress code email on Friday.
I heard back yesterday morning from the counselor.
Tomorrow is graduation, so if you are counting that left me two days (during which I subbed) to purchase whatever remedy I need.

Fortunately, even though I sent the email, I know very well that rules are rules.
I didn't really expect the powers that be would allow little ole me to have an exception.
Mostly my email was to tell them that I dislike their inconsistency: two inches or fingertip length. Pick one and run with it, baby.

I'm not done writing letters, though.

A friend commented on my post about dress extenders, something I had never heard of.
But now we own one.
It cost $44.
I probably could have gotten another dress for cheaper, but I am nothing if not stubborn, and my daughter is gonna wear.that.blasted.dress even if she has to have a dress extender under it.

The counselor's letter was what I expected to receive:

Dear Ms. V--
Thanks for reaching out. We have had many discussions in our administration team about the dress code.
Our dress code states that dress and skirt length must be no more than two inches above the knee. This is what has been sent in each communication about promotion since March.

While I expected this, I also think it came across completely tone deaf.

I would have said something like, "I totally understand how difficult it is to find dresses that girls like and meet the dress code, and we've discussed the code many times as an administrative team, but we can't allow exceptions. If we do it for one, we have to do it for all."

Had it said something on the order of THAT, my dander would not be as up as it still is. As it now stands, I'm taking my damn tape measure tomorrow, and you better believe if I see a girl with a short dress on that is higher than 2 inches above the knee, I'm asking the counselor why SHE got to participate without changing anything.

I pulled out the original dress code sheet that was sent home at the beginning of the year, and it does say under Uniform Slacks/Skirts/Shorts/Skorts, that skirts/shorts/skorts must be no more than 2 inches from the top of the knee.

However, my daughter wore shorts both yesterday and Friday that were WAY ABOVE 2 inches above the top of the knee, and nothing was said. The teachers measured by the fingertip rule. The dance dress==fingertip rule.

My problem is both the rule and the lack of consistency in the rule.
Unlike adherence to the dress code at the school, I don't think those are gonna change.

No comments: