Adsense

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Pipe problems

So last week we dropped nearly $800 on plumbing repairs. It started with the sewer backup on Sunday, and (hopefully) ended with a frozen (and busted) sump pump pipe at the end of the week.

On Thursday, D and I kept hearing this weird humming noise. We thought it was the furnace, so when he got home from work he checked it out. He soon realized the hum was the sound of the sump pump motor running continuously. When he opened the sump pump cover, it felt like a sauna.

So on Friday morning, the plumber was called AGAIN. He ended up having to cut into our basement drywall and floorboards to get at the pipe, which was indeed frozen, busted and cracked. Had we waited until it thawed we would have been in a wet basement.

Both the guys who came, Frank and Jim, were super professional, which was nice. But I made it very clear when Jim left on Friday that while I appreciated his help, I sincerely hope I don't have to see anyone from his company for a LONG, LONG time.

Of course, a colleague of D's mentioned how crap happens in 3s, so now I'm a little worried what is up next. What bad and expensive piece of stink is going to befall us to finish up the curse?

Really, though, and I don't mean to slide back into my pre-therapy catastrophic way of thinking but bad junk just happens alot. Not in number sequences....just often enough to remind you that you have no control and that life can be a royal bitch.

I think I'm ready for things to settle down a wee bit, especially on the home repair front.

No comments: