Adsense

Monday, June 22, 2020

The close-to-home vacation during COVID

We had originally, back in December, hoped to go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in 2020.
However, we had been hemorrhaging money in 2019 so decided a big trip was irresponsible.

In January of this year, I booked 4 nights at Land Between the Lakes in western Kentucky at a private home for June.

When COVID came along, we didn't know what we were going to do.
Eventually, we decided that since it was in-state, we wouldn't be violating any executive orders.
We also determined that even if we sat inside that house doing exactly what we'd been doing inside our house, it was, at least, a change of scenery.

We had planned to take my MIL, my niece, and my parents, but in March, April, and even May, we didn't know if that would happen.
Heck, to be honest, we didn't know how things would shake out for certain until we were on the road.

Ultimately, we told them that the five of us were going, and we left it up to them whether they felt comfortable going with us.

Our trip was nice.
We took our own food and never ventured to a restaurant even for curbside pickup.
I stopped in a small corner store for Hershey chocolate bars (for s'mores) and wore a mask.
I used my gas-pumping gloves the one time we stopped for gas.
We wore masks when we went into LBL buildings/nature stations and kept our distance from others.
We spent most of our time at the house, swimming, fishing, kayaking, or eating.

Was it the most stellar, scenic, mind-blowing trip?
No.
Was it simple and relaxing and based on realistic expectations?
Yes.
And in a year like this one, that is downright delightful.

My thoughts on COVID have changed in some ways since March.
What hasn't changed is my feeling that it is serious, warrants life changes, and requires vigilance.
What has changed is my feeling that being careful cannot equate putting life entirely on hold.
If my parents, or kids, or I end up getting COVID, I will be glad to have had special memories of time spent together.














Fishing with Pa





 Masks were at the ready before we walked inside. 









No comments: