Adsense

Monday, September 23, 2019

The reflection after the drama

So I've done four interviews about the hullabaloo at the school.
I have tried to state the facts to the best of my knowledge, with my knowledge including things that I was told after Saturday, like how parents tried to get the school to relax the dress code.

I have tried to stay away from social media because it makes me second guess myself.
The people who say things like, "You knew the rules and didn't follow them."

But then, before I doubt myself too much, I'm reminded of other rules that people in other times and places have been supposed to follow.
They were posted, and if people didn't follow them, they should just suffer the consequences.
They told you, and you didn't do what they said.

Like segregated water fountains.
And interracial marriage.
And the ability to be gay and love who you want.
And the freedom to worship as you want.
Not that I even remotely equate a dress code to these, but the way these rules, including a dress code, make people feel is the same.
Less than.
Not worthy.
Inadequate.
Inferior.

I have always been a rule-questioner, which is why organized religion and I don't always get along.
I have always tried to ask myself, "What is right?" with rightness being determined mostly by the Golden Rule.
Treat other people the way you want to be treated.
I have never, in my life, had my clothing measured unless I was paying someone to alter them.
Why would I want anyone to measure my daughter's clothing to tell her whether she was appropriate enough to attend a school dance?

No comments: