Adsense

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

My semi-addiction

I know that at some point, probably sooner than later, I'm going to have to forego adventures.

We've got two more boys to get into braces, a girl that will be driving, and a furnace that is coming up on 20 years of existence.
One car that is at 185,000 miles, and another that is 18 years old.
We will soon have to spend money on boring, adult(ish) things.

So, I'm seizing the day by taking lots of trips.
We just returned from spring break to Atlanta, and I've already booked a short trip in the fall.

Now, I tell myself that these trips are ok, and I guess they are since we're not going into debt to do them, and we're not foregoing things like food and medicine in order to do them.

These trips make those long-ass days of substitute teaching a little more worth it.

Of course, I worry about my obsessiveness.
That feeling of "needing" to get something planned.
Like I can't settle down until I've got something booked.
That isn't very healthy.

On the flip side, I've obsessed about having tonsilar cancer...when I didn't have tonsilar cancer.
And I've obsessed about people dying...when people weren't dying.
And I've obsessed about the end of the world...when the end of the world isn't happening.
And I've obsessed about food....when I should just eat a healthy, balanced diet.
And I've obsessed about exercise....when I should just do 30 minutes a day and forget about it.

I'm really, really, REALLY quite good at obsessing.
That's my mo.

And considering all the things I've obsessed over...these little adventures are the least damaging.
At least for now.

No comments: