Adsense

Monday, January 13, 2014

The OT evaluation

G is my riddle wrapped up in an enigma, but the OT evaluation makes me think that his sensory difficulties and tantrums are not just a figment of my imagination.

He was given the BOT-2 test, which examines a number of motor abilities and gives the age equivalency of the child's skills.  Out of 6 categories, G is below age level in 5, although in most he is barely or not too far behind.

G's age is 6.3 years.

His fine motor precision age equivalency is a 5.10-5.11 year old child.
Fine motor integration= 5.6-5.7 year old equivalency
Manual dexterity= 6.0-6.2 year old equivalency
Upper-limb coordination= 5.8-5.9 year old equivalency
Bilateral coordination= 6.6-6.8 year old equivalency
Balance= below age 4 equivalency

That balance score surprised me.  I was half expecting the OT to tell me G is just a turd for me and otherwise perfectly fine.

I don't fully comprehend how vestibular issues can lead to sensory and behavioral challenges, but I'm taking the OT's word for it and will proceed with therapy for G one a week for 6 months.  He and I will continue to see the psychologist for the time being, about twice a month.

There is a part of me that keeps thinking, "Maybe it is a maturity thing.  Maybe he will grow out of it.  Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.  Maybe he just has a prickly personality."

I'm not sure if this is denial or what, but if it is, I'm not going to let it stop me from trying some things out in the hopes they will help me handle him better.

No comments: