Adsense

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird," Paula Deen and SCOTUS

I recently re-read To Kill a Mockingbird so all that is sad and powerful and triumphant in that novel is fresh in my mind.

Perhaps this re-reading is why I am bothered so much about the Supreme Court's decision on the Voting Rights Act, and why I am ticked that it seemingly got little attention from the nation as a whole, especially in light of the DOMA decision.

It took great restraint for me to not post on FB what I really wanted to say, which was that the SCOTUS apparently likes gay people more than Blacks.  It's not a PC statement, but sometimes I don't feel like being PC.

I realize the justices have actual law on their minds, but perhaps they should have paid more attention to what is happening culturally.  The culture of Paula Deen, I mean.  She is getting a lot of stink for her comments and alleged discrimination at her restaurant (which is warranted), and if in 2013 this is going on, perhaps the justices are a little optimistic to think that Southern states have come as far as they think they have.

I don't know anything about German law, but I wonder if any laws were passed relating to the Holocaust and whether those laws have been abandoned.  Whether anyone really thinks humans have "come so far" that they won't resort to genocide.  Poverty and ignorance are powerful things, and it takes more than 50 years for their hold to weaken.

Five decades is a drop in the bucket.  The South hasn't fully recovered from the American Civil War if the flying of Confederate flags is any indication.  Racism runs deep, deeper than the justices are able to see in their ivory tower.  

No comments: